Monday 26 September 2011

The Synchronicity of Light, Exposure and Contrast & Medium Format


Last Thursday we had our first introduction to studio practice learning how to set up the foam board, backdrop, lighting and camera and setting it up safely. I got the chance to photograph with a medium format Bronica camera using an Iflord Delta 100 black and white film. I was very excited to experiment with medium format as I had used 35mm at A level and have always found analog photography really interesting compared to digital photography.

Until I have developed the film tomorrow I am unaware whether the photographs came out however I found using the light meter to balance the aperture, shutter speed and iso really helpful (recording what we used for each frame to compare to each other afterwards) which I want to practice with more in both natural and artificial lighting. One main thing I forgot to do was pull out the light sensitive screen however luckily the Bronica will not take the photograph with the screen in; therefore I will need further practice with this.  



I have found this process really enjoyable as a step up from 35mm processing and can’t wait to be inducted into colour medium format as well as large format photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment