Monday 10 October 2011

Gallery Visit notes

I know it was quite a while ago now that I said I was going to upload my exhibition notes but I got a bit side tracked, so here they are now. I wrote basic thoughts down as I was going around and named images and photographers I was most interested in. 
I firstly visited the Steve Pyke exhibition at the Flowers gallery:
Allan Gibbard, digital silver gelatin print

Sally Haslanger & Steve Yablo, New York City, July 14, 2010

Judith Thomson
 I then went to the V&A museum print rooms where I got out five different print boxes to look at, Print box 12- Processes & Techniques, Print box 13a & b- History of Photography through the 20th century, Print box 14- Contemporary Photography & Print box 16- Cultural Identity:

P.H. Emerson- A Misty Morning at Norwich

Lewis Hine- 7-year old Rosie, oyster shucker, Bluffton, South Carolina, 1913
August Sander- Middle Class Children

Walker Evans- Allie Mae Burroughs

Weegee

William Eggleston- Untitled, for the portfolio Southern Suite, 1981

Ansel Adams- Freeway Interchange, Los Angeles, 1967
 
Lewis Baltz- Lemmon Valley, Looking North, from the Nevada portfolio, 1977

Lewis Baltz, Prospector Park, Subdivision Phase III, Lot 160, Looking West, from the portfolio Park City

Joel Sternfeld- Looking South on a May Evening (the Starrett-Lehigh Building), May 2000
  

Jananne Al-Ani- Untitled, april 1996
  I finally visited the National Portrait Gallery to get some inspiration specifically for the Body unit:
Debra Hurford Brown- 'Lee Evans'

Debra Hurford Brown- 'Ronnie Corbett'

David Bailey- 'Tracey Emin, 2007'
 I think my gallery visits were very successful and useful especially in helping me expand my ideas in the Environment unit, I am very passsionate about the conflict between nature and humans- the effect we have had on the environment eg. the destruction we have caused in the world to make homes and transporation for ourselves; for this I will be looking more into William Eggleston, Joel Sternfeld, Ansel Adams & Lewis Baltz. 
I have also discovered a couple of amazing photographers, Steve Pyke, August Sander, Walker Evans, Debra Hurford Brown and David Bailey; especially the studio work. They have given me ideas in terms of lighting to create a certain effect, backdrops and positioning when I begin my body unit.




No comments:

Post a Comment