Tuesday 11 October 2011

Object Tutorial Notes

During my tutorial with Tom Slevin I explained my conceptual idea for my object unit shoot (explained at the bottom of my previous blog) along with my inspirations so far and then made some notes on the comments and advice given;

- Rather than using a tumble dryer as the central subject of the scene I could use the shredded paper, film and other litter eg. bottles that I collect to create a landscape eg. mountains, rivers etc.
- I would use perspective to distort the scale of the scene.
- recreate the earth/ reflection of the World.

- Gary Bryan- scale
                    - waste material
                    - creating another environment not natural to the objects
                    - uses found objects like plastic bottles to create sculptural scenes
Gary Bryan- 'Bottles'
Gary Bryan- 'Sugar'


Gary Bryan- 'Two Bottles'

- Steffi Klenz- scale & perspective
      - uses perspective to make small piles of rubbish look like mountains
      - photographed in a way to make destruction etc. look beautiful
Steffi Klenz- 'Dagenham East'

Steffi Klenz- 'Tottenham Hale'

- Western culture- world is perceived as something for us to exploit
     - by creating a landscape out of used items I would highlight the we consume the world.

- After visiting the rubbish tip on the weekend (negatives on previous blog entry) and talking through my ideas it was interesting to see how the filled skips almost began to look like landscapes in themselves with mountains and valleys. 


- I am going to do further reserach into consumerism in the news and find out some statistics to do with the usage and wastage we accumulate which may help me when constructing my still life.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Amy,
    I've enjoyed reading your blog and am very interested to see how you create a landscape using selected objects. A few thoughts to rattle your cage. Of course, the concept of landscape is human made and there is a nice irony in attempting to make human waste material look "natural". I wondered if you've consider mixing new and old (waste) material in your composition? Also you may be considering how subtle you want your representation to be. As a potential member of your audience I can resent the holier than thou attitude of people who consider themselves to be "environmentalists". For example have you ever considered the environmental impact of photography, all those shiny new digital cameras and the pressure to buy the latest model? What happens to them when they are discarded? And the impact of analogue photography was huge - think about all those chemicals processes and the effect on the drains. The thing that makes my mind boggle is the sheer quantity of us, the global human population, and the billions in China wanting to have the same. Are you aware of the work of Edward Burtynsky and his manufactured landscapes? I'd be interested to hear your views about him and his work. One of the things I like about his work is that he beguiles the viewer by making his human landscapes beautiful and sublime. By the way when trying to remember his name I googled: human landscapes, industrial landscapes, man made landscapes until I remembered manufactured landscapes. It was interesting to scan the sites and consider the varying interpretations.

    ReplyDelete