Monday 12 March 2012

Commission: Final contact sheets

Last Tuesday I did my commission photo shoot, I shot my two different ideas as I had enough time to experiment with both.
My set up was a black backdrop, broncolor with large soft box & a Mamiya RZ67 which I used for both shoots. I began by doing my self portrait idea where I dressed up in my nan's function dress, mother's wedding dress & sister's prom dress to highlight aspirational waste.


I set the camera to F. 8 with a shutter speed of 400, I took three images of each dress posed in slightly different ways (as previously experimented with & blogged); I particularly liked the images where I am looking down at the dresses as if observing my own aspirations and family past/ memories wasting away. Although I also like the images where I am standing slightly side on which creates a more posed, 'look at me' photograph as if to say look, I can step into their shoes and be just as successful at the milestones of my life.  

I found that my second idea didn't turn out as I hoped it would, although the set up went as I planned it to, due to the backdrop being dirty & the lighting making the background not entirely black the final image wasn't very clean & as crisply black as I wanted.


If I were to use some of these images I would have to over expose the backdrop in the dark room enough to make it entriely black; this would then make the clothing really look as if they were floating in mid air, this would involve using burning & masking.

Overall I want to try to print one image from each shoot and then decide which I will finally decide to feature as my final images. I feel both series highlight my theme in different ways which I have explored through research; however it will depend on how the first images look when printed. Tomorrow I have a colour printing workshop with Steffi where I hope to edit & print my final three commission images.

No comments:

Post a Comment